Thursday, April 29, 2010

AB3 to leave Bradley Coaching Staff and "BIG" Recruiting News

It was announced today by Bradley University that assistant coach Alvin Brooks, III, would leave the program.  Due to employment laws Jim Les chose not to detail where he was going but some rudimentary research turns up that it's Sam Houston State-- closer to home for the coach colloquially known as AB3.  For whatever its worth, it's rumored that this coach was a bit of a disappointment at BU, and my own interactions (or more accurately, lack there of) indicates that the rumors were right on, I'm not upset that AB3 has chosen to move on.

I've heard of five candidates to replace Coach Brooks and all are very encouraging candidates.  I'd be happy to see any of them on the bench next season.  The only media-confirmed candidate appears to be erstwhile DePaul interim head coach Tracy Webster.  Relevant Peoria Journal Star article here.  Reading that article in particular reveals a couple of interesting things: Interim Assistant Kyle Vogt and Interim Director of Basketball Ops Jeremy Crouch have had their "interim" titles removed.  I personally wouldn't have minded to see Kyle Vogt move on and Bradley hire another assistant, but I have to believe this "official" "un-interiming" of Kyle Vogt means he's really joining our coaching staff.  If so, I will support Kyle as I support any Bradley coach.

Also, this article, I was shocked to see, officially links big man Michael Ocherobia (ESPN Insider profile here) to Bradley University.  This guy has been the Worst Kept 2011 Secret in the Bradley universe all off-season.  Rumor has it that he's committed and that it's just a matter of some paperwork before he's announced a Brave.  The phrasing of Dave Reynolds' article indicates that this is indeed the case.  I've been hoping it's true, as Bradley has needed a 6'9" 265 lb player in the worst way for about as long as I can remember. 

Ocherobia comes from an organization called the Canarias Basketball Academy (of the Canary Islands of Spain), which appears to be a sort of combine that tries to qualify European basketball players for NCAA Division I basketball.  They've placed at least 15 players in Division I basketball in the last two years.  Ocherobia is a 21 y/o Nigerian who came to Canarias from the UK and is an obvious physical specimen.  Best case is he gives Bradley the presence they need at the "5" position for the near future (3-4 years) and Bradley makes it to the next level.  Most probable case is that he follows a career not unlike illinois state's Dinma Odiakosa and takes a couple of years to realize his physical potential.  Worst case is that he's Saihou Jassey and never makes an impact.  We'll have to see, but at this point I really hope he's a Brave and I can't wait to see him on the court at Carver Arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment