Monday, May 3, 2010

Wilkins Saga Finally Over. I Think.

Well, the John Wilkins saga is finally over.  Late Sunday it was reported he sent his signed NLI into illinois state.  "Why?" You may be asking yourself.  I don't have anything like a definitive answer.  Bradley, by most measures, is a better school and a stronger program.  isu does have a couple of years of relative success, but those in the know recognize that success is tainted by extremely weak non-con schedules and a prodigious lack of postseason success.  Bradley's system is also tailor-made for the type of player Wilkins is purported to be.  Meanwhile, isu stands to take a fall with a couple of their best players graduating this last season.  Yeah, I don't really have any logical answer...

But, I do have a rumor.  It's rumored that Wilkins wanted a free-ride for his lady-friend also.  I'm not sure if it's true, but it would be an NCAA recruiting violation if it was.  This rumor hasn't circulated only at Bradley but also at other pursuing schools-- most notably at Indiana.  Another blogger, bubravesblogger, dives a bit deeper into it here.  So maybe isu got him because they played ball.

Who knows, really.  I would take great pleasure if isu did get investigated for it.  Also, I think, at this point, I'd take some pleasure in karma taking a bit out of John Wilkins' ass.  We'll have to wait and see if he ever actually gets to isu and gets on the floor.  If he ever shows up at Carver Arena, I'll certainly loudly let him know what I think.  As it happens it's also been reported that verballed to Houston.  Buh.  I'm happy to move on, and happy that our coaching staff has confirmed that Bradley has done so also.

This leaves BU with one open scholarship for the 2010-2011 season (provided Michael Ocherobia .  I'd be happy with another big body in the paint, a small forward who can mix it up a bit or step out and shoot, or a pure shooter.  I've heard a few things that Bradley may take a transfer (meaning the player wouldn't be eligible to play until the 2011-2012 season), which wouldn't bother me at all, as I think the team is fairly well positioned for next season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment