Monday, October 25, 2010

Bradley Lineup Musings: Red/White Edition

One of my favorite off-season timewasters is to think about how many minutes each player will play at each position.  I have previously engaged in such discussion over on Bradleyfans from time to time, but now I have a blog... And after the Red/White scrimmage I have new "information" to base the projections on.  Assumptions on the following are all based on a regulation length game, so 40 minutes for each position.  First I have the list by position, and then a summary minutes by player.  Minutes are in parentheses.

1/PG - Mansicalco (30), Dyricus Simms-Edwards (10)
2/SG - Dodie Dunson (25), Dyricus Simms-Edwards (5), Jake Eastman (5), Andrew Warren (5)
3/SF - Andrew Warren (25), Taylor Brown (10), Jake Eastman (5)
4/PF - Taylor Brown (20), Jordan Prosser (15), Will Egolf (5)
5/C - Will Egolf (20), Anthony Thompson (15), Jordan Prosser (5)

Sam Maniscalco - 30 minutes
Andrew Warren - 30 minutes
Taylor Brown - 30 minutes
Dodie Dunson - 25 minutes
Will Egolf - 25 minutes
Jordan Prosser - 20 minutes
Dyricus Simms-Edwards - 15 minutes
Anthony Thompson - 15 minutes
Jake Eastman - 10 minutes
No minutes: Andrew Davis, Walt Lemon, Jr., Milos Knezevic, and the walk-ons.  

Observations:
I believe that the three guys showing 30 minutes could well average more minutes per game than that... I just believe that is also not ideal.  If the Braves are playing well it shouldn't be necessary for these guys to play more than 30 minutes to keep them healthy and fresh.  As a result view the above as "ideal." 

Didn't put in any time for either of the freshmen, even if Walt Lemon looked like he could pull a few minutes down.  Based, however, on depth at guard, I can't see him being a regular player unless he unseats one of the guys above him on the chart or is injured.  A lot of people are discussing the possibility of a redshirt for Andrew Davis, but if you look at the above you don't really have any depth behind some big minute-getters in the post.  If anyone gets hurt or into foul trouble you may need him.  I suppose that means you could put the redshirt on and avoid using him unless totally necessary.  I guess I'm just not sold on a redshirt for anyone since we're already a man down with the 13th scholarship unfilled.

Other interesting things, I'm surprised to be showing more minutes for Prosser than for Dyricus.  DSE is a favorite of mine, but with Dodie coming back from his injury, there's just less time to be had for DSE.  Also a surprise for me was predicting more minutes for Prosser than Thompson, though this is strictly because I don't expect to see Thompson playing the 4 so Prosser gets the nod due to being perceived as having more versatility.  Most disappointing surprise is no minutes for Milos, which is completely based on his poor performance at the Red/White scrimmage.  I think he's an interesting prospect, so I hope that was just a bad showing and he'll provide some solid minutes at the 3 (I'm pretty convinced that's the only position he's suited for). 

No comments:

Post a Comment